Saturday, March 1, 2014

San Luis Rio Colorado City

I did not bring my passport because I had no intention of stepping into Mexico. Yuma is very close to the border (about an hour's drive) so I drove to San Luis Rio Colorado which is on the Mexican border to take some photos.

Parking in a lot for visitors, I walked toward the gate to get photos but the problem was that the sun was right in my face so I went a little farther.



Now I ask you, where on this sign does it say you are in Mexico?

 This is where the cars pass under and is considered Mexico. I got close enough to take some photos and turned around heading back the way I came when a guard stopped me and said that I was already in Mexico and that if I wanted to return to the US that I had to walk past the gate, walk two blocks west and enter the US customs building.



 This was next to the building where you enter the US.
After explaining to the guard that I just wanted to take some photos and did not realize that I had past the line of no return (there was absolutely no sign saying, you are in Mexico) I was able to get back to US soil with just my drivers license but boy did I get the third degree.

On the American side, there was a small park with these unusual trees.  I wonder if these trees are trimmed in this shape.  Does anyone know?

Linking to: Shadow Shot Sunday 2



16 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I'm surprised they let you take pictures! At the U.S./Mexico border crossings I've flirted with, the powers-that-be frown on cameras. National security, and all that. Glad you got back safely!

Shadowy Mural

Ralph said...

Ah, the bureaucrats (everywhere) are just the same - give some people a little power and it will be magnified quite a bit. I'm all for security, but it seems that that wasn't what their concerns were. Glad you're back!

biebkriebels said...

Oh boy, that was tricky to cross a border by not knowing it. Glad you could go back without any troubles.

orvokki said...

You had an exciting experience. I wonder that they gave in general to take pictures.
I think that the trees are cut to form the very beginning and then every year. Nice form.
Have a happy Sunday.

Suburban Girl said...

Well that must have been an adventure.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh that would have been a very scary experience! Glad they let you back into the U.S.

colleen said...

Funny how you can slip into Mexico without even knowing. That tree in the last shot makes a mean shadow.

Rajlakshmi said...

Woaa seems one can cross border any time :) the trimmed tree looks pretty cool.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Aiyee! That was a close call! You would think that 'crossing the border' would be more obvious. I guess those lines are blurred too!

MastHoliday said...

Nice shots and happy sky watching!! Hope you'll be a follower...

Poppy said...

Ruth, you scared me! Wow, what an ordeal, and I totally agree, the sign is very confusing, actually! I can see you, just innocently wanting to take a few shots, and then...yikes!

That tree looks to me as if it is very creatively coiffed!!

Poppy

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I can imagine the questions about what and why you were taking pix, Ruth! That must have been scary!!!...:)JP

Gillena Cox said...

(◕‿◕。) hope you didn’t get into trouble, thanks for sharing such nice photos
Much Love…

Gillena Cox said...

(◕‿◕。) hope you didn’t get into trouble, thanks for sharing such nice photos
Much Love…

NatureFootstep said...

cool story. Glad it ended the right way. :)

Suzan said...

WOW!! I bet that made your heart flutter faster than normal!!
I'm surprised they allowed you to keep your photos!!

01 09 10