Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wooden Boxes

I have no idea in the world the age of these wooden boxes.  I just know that they don't make them like this anymore and the craftsmanship is beyond how they make wooden objects today.

 This box is 6 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches.

The Carpet Tack box with its multi-compartments is a about 12 x 18 inches. I've had them a long time and it has finally dawned on me that they are very old and you really don't see them anymore. 

My grandmother had a treadle Singer sewing machine that was in a real wood case. She used in back in the 1940s and 1950s. I had my very first sewing lessons on this sewing machine. I made a tea towel from a bleached flour sack and won a blue ribbon from it at the county fair because I was in 4H. I had it for a long time not realizing that it was valuable because of its age. 

My cousin, who is a user and at the time I did not know that she was a user, wanted something that belonged to grandma so I gave her this wonderful old sewing machine.  Well, the first thing that she did was sell it.  So now, it is not in the family anymore because my cousin sells everything that she can get her grubby chubby hands on. I am sure she had no idea the value of it and sold it for a pittance.

It looked a lot like this machine. How I wished I had kept it.

No comments:

01 09 10