Thursday, July 28, 2011

Learning a Language

Cottage in Sztabin

For the last year and a half, I have been studying Polish so that when I go on my dream-of-a-life time trip to Poland, I will be able to understand some of the language and even speak a few words. I have completed disk one from Rosetta Stone and I should send for disk two because I still have no confidence about speaking or knowing what someone else says in Polish.  I know lots of words but is it enough?  I have my doubts.

Vigorously searching for my roots, I found the villages where my grandfather and great grandparents lived.  I have even been in touch with cousins from both areas in Poland.  Sztabin is not on the tourist route and is close to Belarus (it was part of Russia not too long ago). The Biebrza River flows through Sztabin and that area is called the lungs of Europe. 

Biebrza River

No comments:

01 09 10