Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dolls from the 50's

I just couldn't resist - my cousin blogged about two dolls that were rescued from a thrift store. 

"Gone with the Wind" doll

I didn't rescue anything!  I didn't store my dolls in the basement either but stuffed them into a dresser drawer for umpteen years.  My all time favorite is called my "Gone with the Wind" doll.  Both of these doll's arms move, their eyes open and close showing those baby blues, their legs have no joints and don't move but they can stand on their own.  They both have their original dresses and hair.


My "Carmen Miranda" doll used to have a banana, an apple and a pear on top of her head.  All that has survived is the green apple and bits of whitish plastic where the banana used to be.

Carmen Miranda
It's not as if my parents gave me these dolls but they were leftovers from a punch board that was in their drive-in.  

People saw a grand display of prizes along the south wall of the drive-in and for a measly quarter, they used a metal key to punch out a piece of paper. After unraveling the paper, they either won the prize or not. It's kinda like the scratch off the grey metal-colored gunk that covers a number or "you win" or "you lose".


A doll from Poland.  My grandmother Stella gave me this doll and it has been one of my most treasured.
All of these gems have cute faces and original clothes and hair!

2 comments:

Paulette said...

The dolls are adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Me, still said...

I just love doll posts!!
Bloghopping over from Cheerful Thrifty Door

01 09 10