Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bolton Abbey in Yorkshire Dales

On our way toward York, we stopped at Bolton Abbey, which covers 30,000 acres of breath taking countryside.  Yorkshire estate belongs to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire.


This is their residence; daffodils grow wild in England and Wales. Bolton means "an enclosure with a house". Bolton Abbey is a quaint village adjacent to Bolton Priory, a ruined Cistercian monastery on the banks of the River Wharfe, just north of the spa town Iikley (iikley).




Next to the Abbey besides tombstones was the Priory Church.



The guide inside Priory church was very nice and easy to understand. He was a very charming man with silver hair and we talked about genealogy, but mostly he told us about the architecture and history of this 14th century building. 

We had lunch in another building in the village which turned out to be surprising.  I am always trying new kinds of food and this day was no different. I ordered a cheese, tomato and pickle sandwich thinking how I loved pickle sandwiches at home. The pickle was a dark almost black color and was different from any pickle that I have ever tasted.  I was not quite sure if I would ever grow to like that pickle or not but I ate it anyway.  We had to try a crumpet, which is very much like a pancake.  I bought myself a hat because of the wind and Darla thought that I was becoming very European wearing a hat!


No comments:

01 09 10